September 24th 1856, the very first animal judging contest held by the Richmond Agricultural Society was held. Lord Almyer of Melbourne was the president at the time. During the following years, new buildings were built, the grounds were fixed up and the quality of the event increased.
In August 1956 the Agricultural Society celebrated the fair’s 100th anniversary, with a “Salute to the Century” ceremony. At this point the fair board was amazed, when looking behind, at how far the fair had come in the last 100 years! and they would have never predicted how much further the fair would get ahead in the 50 years to come! Starting with no permanent buildings, a small judging contest and a few visitors, it was now a place for families to be entertained for a full week-end.
In 1965 the fair was relocated to where it stands today, on the 143 between Richmond and Windsor. This 25 acre grounds seemed to be better situated for all the activities the fair wanted to hold. Certain buildings were moved from their old location and new ones where built. The first building built on these grounds was the “Arena” that still stands today. The building was constructed entirely by volunteers.
Since then, the fair has seen its fair share of ups and downs but for the last several years, the fair has beaten the record in attendance set the previous year. Today the fair expects to beat another record this September.